Wiki - BigSB Public Wiki
Welcome to the BigSB Public Wiki
This wiki article is to help new users who are considering ordering a slice. Access to the full wiki is available to customers with a slice (if you fit this category, login by clicking 'Slices').
What is a slice?
A slice is our term for a user account on one of our servers. Each slice has dedicated hard disk space (i.e. the Baby Box 130 has 130 GB dedicated), and shares other resources (such as CPU and RAM) with users on the same server (a server hosts multiple slices).
You can install software on your slice using our software manager. At the moment, we offer a range including:
- Deluge - an excellent torrent client that can be used for sharing content you've created with the rest of the world
- Transmission - a nice lightweight torrent client
- Zeya - a nifty in-browser media player to access your audio on the run.
You are also welcome to install your own software, but you will need to compile it from source. Our slices come with all of the standard Linux tools and SSH access, so you can use your slice in a large variety of ways.
How long will it take to get my slice?
Once you pay for your order, your details will be available under the Slices tab immediately!
(Assuming plan is in stock - all plans are in stock unless otherwise stated)
How many slices does each server have?
This is a hard question to answer because the number varies. Unlike others, we don't use slice count as our primary indicator of when a server is full - instead, we will only allocate new slices to a server if:
- There is room for a slice of that size, without overselling space
- The servers load (basically CPU usage) isn't too high
- There is plenty of spare network capacity
This means some servers have a dozen slices, and some only have four - it really depends. The important thing is, doing it this way means we can guarantee a few things:
- You'll never get a 'Disk full' error. We don't oversell space and we closely monitor overages to prevent abuse.
- You'll never have to compete for CPU - there will always be plenty of processing power spare.
- You'll always have plenty of bandwidth available. We ensure every slice is able to reach the advertised speed the majority of the time.
Why should I choose BigSB?
We've been doing this for a long time, so we know what we're doing. Our website has everything you need built in - you can control your software, check your disk usage, monitor your slice, find helpful articles in the Wiki and use the ticket system if you have any questions.
Most importantly, we put a strong focus on quality. We've spent a lot of time listening to feedback and developing our offerings, and we believe their the best bang you can get for your buck.
Unlike some other providers, just because we're cheap doesn't mean we cut corners - security, speed and ease of use are all top priority to us, not afterthoughts.
What else should I know?
You should have a look at our Terms of Service before you order.